| by Drew Middleton
With Super Bowl LI this coming Sunday, we thought it fitting to provide you with some touchdown tips on the best NFL diets around. From New England’s Tom Brady to the Giants’ Rashad Jennings, follow these nutrition guidelines to eat like a champion and be as fit as a quarterback.
He's just won this year's 51st Super Bowl in Houston after a historic comeback! So what's the secret diet behind his success?
With 15 football seasons and eight Super Bowl final trips (five of which he has now won), Tom Brady is one of the NFL’s most decorated MVP quarterbacks in history. Standing at 6 ft 4 in and weighing 225 lb, he is fabled for his passing ability of which he holds a number of high-placed career records...
Sprinting to the 40-yard mark: his success could be part due to his plant-based diet.
Allen Campbell - personal chef to Brady, his Brazilian supermodel wife Gisele Bundchen and their children - was interviewed at Boston.com, unveiling some interesting nutrition secrets.
The Most Important: “80% of what they eat is fresh organic vegetables and whole grains. The other 20% is lean meats like grass-fed steak, duck, chicken and wild salmon.”
“No white sugar. No white flour. No MSG. I only cook with coconut oil, but never with olive oil. I use Himalayan pink salt as the sodium.”
“No nightshades such as tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms and eggplants. No coffee or caffeine. No fungus. No dairy”
“For kids: dehydrated super fruit snacks, veggie sushi with brown rice, avocado, carrot and cucumber, and raw granola. We stick to gluten free for everything”
“Differences in things I cook are seasonal. In wintertime, there are more red meat, soups, and root vegetables. In the summer, there are lighter meals like salads and raw lasagna”
Speaking with Daniel Williams, the Digital Features Editor of NFL.com, the New York Giants’ 6 ft 1, 231 lb running back Rashad Jennings shared advice on how he nutritionally fuels his body with a strict diet - and the benefits it has on his game play.
Whilst he has never graced a Super Bowl final, he knows exactly how to fuel his body for football.
Give them a try!
Currently a free agent, David Carter was nearing 300-pounds before he realized fatty dairy products were gaining him too much weight. He decided to swap ice cream shakes and 10,000 calories a day of “bulk-food” for a 100% vegan diet, according to GQ.
The physical benefits? He lost 40 pounds, ran faster and further, was able to lift heavier weights and reduced his joint pain.
The food he ate to get him there? Cannellini beans, millet, quinoa, couscous, brown rice, sunflower seeds, fruit, homemade sauerkraut, cashews and more. These foods provided enough protein to fuel his athletic workouts and football game energy.
If you’re looking to shred your body fat, Steve Weatherford’s advice can help you shake the pounds off. Muscle and Fitness spoke to Steve about how he keeps his body in such fantastic shape. Here’s what we found out:
Firstly, as we’ve already learned, quinoa and plant-based proteins are huge nutritional factors. They keep energy levels high. Chickpeas, eggs, chicken and once-weekly red meat also contribute to his diet.
Secondly, he eats clean foods which are perfectly partnered with his very active metabolism. Alongside gym workouts, weight lifting, and sports training he’ll devour leafy green vegetables and juices made with kale, watercress, ginger, apple, and parsley.
These foods are very nutritious and have been proven to help you lose weight while increasing muscle mass and power.
American Football players’ nutrition will differ from position-to-position. Calorie consumption can range from 4,000-6,000 for a quarterback to 8,000-10,000 for a defensive tackle. However, NFL diets are generally formulated with healthy fats, carbs, proteins, fruits, and vegetables to fuel athleticism and prevent injury.
When it comes to breakfast, lunch, and dinner: grilled lean meats, steak, fresh fruits and veg, whole grains, egg whites, oats and protein shakes will always suffice.